This past Thursday, the White House held a press briefing which interviewed President Trump and the governor of Texas, Greg Abbott.
Texas is the first state to re-open businesses since the Coronavirus shutdown. A lot of important questions were asked, and even more important topics discussed.
Here's everything you need to know in an easy-to-read, bullet-point format.
President Trump began by stating that he believes that 2021 will be a great year for the economy, and is proud to see the governor of Texas do so much to help during the pandemic.
Greg Abbott went on to say:
- He was able to accomplish this through the great staff, team, and the amount of help and support Trump has provided Texas through this pandemic.
- Texas is currently in the process of slowly opening back up and as safely as can be, figuring out the right strategies to make sure the public is safe when Texas opens.
Then the press began asking questions...
Question: “How is it possible that someone that tested positive for COVID-19 got so close to you?”
“Testing is not a perfect art, no matter what you do, testing is not a perfect art.”
- We all have to believe in the tests, and is tested very regularly.
Question: “Could we get your reaction to some breaking news that the Justice Department has decided to dismiss the case against Michael Flynn? Are you aware of that?”
- He was not aware, but felt it was going to happen.
- President Trump claimed "...he is an innocent man, that the whole thing is a disgrace, and hopes a big price will be paid... They are scum, dishonest, and crooked."
Question: “Who would you like to see pay the price for this?”
“The people should pay the price for what they did to this country and they should pay a big price. Their partner is very complicit is the thing called the media, the media is totally guilty.”
- He went on to claim that journalists are thieves, journalists who have gotten a Pulitzer Prize should give it back because he claims they were all wrong.
Question: “You talked with President Putin today (5/8/20). Did he ask for any ventilators or equipment for his pandemic?”
- President Putin did ask for equipment such as ventilators, and America is helping him during this pandemic.
- This was the time where President Trump and President Putin worked together during a war.
Question: “During the course of seven weeks, 30 million jobs were lost. Will there be more jobs lost in May or is that number going to start coming down next month?”
- The unemployment number will be coming down at a steady rate, says “.. the third quarter will be a transition into greatness.”
- Texas has been able to contain the Coronavirus and while doing so has created "Surge Forces".
- Surge forces are task forces that will go out to areas that have COVID-19 cases and bring the area back to normal. They will mainly focus in the areas of jails, senior centers, and meatpacking plants.
Question: “Governor, last week there was another death in Texas. Police were used with an armored vehicle and guns drawn to shut down a bar that had opened up. What role does the police have into forcing these types of lockdowns and social distancing orders?”
- There are different standards in different parts of Texas.
- He wants to make one thing very clear; If someone is not following an executive order, they should not be arrested because of it.
Question: “Sir following up on the Coronavirus in the West wing, has the Oval Office been cleaned? Are you contact tracing people around this area that would’ve had contact with this person? Is there going to be a 14 day quarantine or should there be?”
- Everybody who come in contact with the president will be tested that day.
Question: “Dr. Birx, do you think that the Texas reopening plan is great? Are you thumbs up with them doing a 25% capacity for movie theaters and restaurants?”
- Dr. Birx and Greg Abbott had a long discussion dealing with this topic and agree to it.
- Says it was surprising how much governors know so much about epidemiology, thinks they won’t have trouble understanding a situation like this again because of how much they know about epidemiology.
- She has been asking governors to have data with them, have the facts, and use focus testing to find the asymptomatic cases.
Question: “20 states haven’t met the guidelines that you sent. What do you say to those states who haven’t met the guidelines yet have already started the re-opening process?"
He has given the governors leeway and says they have been doing a good job, and relies on them to make the right choice.
- Says governors should look to Texas as an example of re-opening.
Question: “There has been a video of an unarmed black Georgia man who was shot by police while on a jog. Have you seen the video and your reaction to that video?”
- His heart goes out to the parents & is getting a full report on the situation Friday (May 8th).
Question: “There is a report about Saudi Arabia that the U.S. is considering removing anti missiles systems from Saudi Arabia, is that true?”
- We are making a lot of moves in the Middle East and elsewhere.
- America has spent $1.5 trillion on the military.
- New ships are being built.
- Believes what he is doing in the Middle East and elsewhere will be positive for the U.S and places around the world.
Question: “The travel restrictions that you have put on China and all round the world , do you see a scenario of easing them anytime soon?”
- At some point we will open it up again when the plague goes away and when China cleans up after themselves.
- He saved the airlines from the repercussions of this with a $25 billion bailout.
- Want to be open to countries at an appropriate time.
Question: “How much impairments does false news have of your thinking on the pandemic?”
- Calls Fox News, NBC, and CNN fake news, but has a good relationship with ABC.
Question: “On the Wuhan lab, you said on Sunday that there would be a very strong report coming out soon about the connection between the lab and the virus. Is that still coming, when should we expect that?"
- It is coming, but is unsure if it will be released or when we learn more about the situation.
- It could’ve been stopped in China, China tried to blame Europe, but he believes it was a mistake in a Chinese lab.
Question: “People have locked up $1200 for a couple months. Should they be expected to live off of that same $1200 for the next couple of months, or is more money coming?”
“The best thing for us to do is to get our country going.”
Give the loving mother in your life the gift of Trump with our exclusive "Pink President Trump 2020 USA Flag Hat", now 66% OFF for Mother's Day!